Pages

Monday, April 30, 2012

A good explanation!

So many of my friends and family have asked about what Michael does. I never know what to say. His job is so complex and I don't fully understand what he does so it makes it very difficult for me to explain. So for those of you who have asked, I am sorry for the poor explanation I probably gave you. I know the first part is a little confusing but stick with it and hopefully it will be a little bit easier to understand :)

  "I am currently employed as a Materials Scientist/Engineer. Materials science is an interdisciplinary field applying the properties of matter to various areas of science and engineering. This scientific field investigates the relationship between the structure of materials at atomic or molecular scales and their macroscopic properties. It incorporates elements of applied physics and chemistry. Like most scientists, my job requires me  to study and observe phenomena of the world around me. While biologist may study animals, or a chemist studies chemicals, I study materials that make up everyday objects.We interact with hundreds of objects every single day (cars, televisions, laundry basket, silverware) and every component of each of these objects was invented, studied, improved, or developed because of a materials engineer. At this point you may be asking "how?" The answer is each component is made up of a material and each material is made up of atoms, by manipulating (moving, restructuring, changing bonding, etc.) those atoms, it is possible to design (improve) a material to perform a specific function, like making a laundry basket stronger, lighter, tougher, or UV resistant. Once a materials engineer has designed (or improved it) other types of engineers will use that material to build new products. One of my favorite examples is Corning Ware, actually. As it turns out, an engineer at Corning accidentally left his glass in the furnace for too long. After analysis by a materials engineer a new type material (glass ceramic) was developed.  And people have been using Corning Ware ever since."


No comments:

Post a Comment