Pages

Friday, March 2, 2012

On Being a Housewife...

A few weekends ago we traveled down to Virginia Beach, trying to beat the DC traffic, Michael went into work super early and I had a strict plan to be on the road when he got home at 3:30. I told him I would take care of all the packing, stopping at the store, and filling up the tank. When he called at 2:30 to let me know he was on his way home he heard the panic in my voice. "Are you okay? What's wrong?" he asked. I had procrastinated. Big time. It was 2:30 and the only thing I had done was pulled clothes out to take. And I did that the night before. I raced around the house trying to get everything ready, headed down the street to fill up my tank, then to the store to pick up some some Vernors, then home. I beat Michael to the house by 30 seconds. I flung open my car door (reciting to myself what I still needed to pack: soda, water, shoes, snacks, cards, and flat iron), hurried in the house and collected the rest of my list while Michael put away the garbage can and grabbed the water from downstairs. We were ready to go and it was 3:26. We hit the road and I felt pretty proud I managed to get it all together in less than in hour. I was still a little breathless from rushing around when Michael looked at me and said "what on earth did you do all day?"

Whenever I don't want to give an answer (mostly when I did something silly) I always say something like "Well if you were thinking it look's like there's only a little bacon in your omelet it's definitely not because I ate 3 slices." or  it'll go a little something like this "Why is the counter sticky?!" "Well, umm, its definitely not because I spilled juice and forgot to wipe it up" Some people may not really find it funny, as newlyweds, still all smitten n stuff, we do. On the day we were driving down to VB my answer went along the lines of "well, if you were thinking I laid in bed and watched Burn Notice all day, I definitely didn't." Obviously, I had.Well, that's only kind of true-- I did a little reading, checked my email, then showered, put on clean pjs, and got back in bed. I watched a full 4 episodes of Burn Notice before getting up at noon to eat and fill an order.

Before this, we had never really talked about what I do all day. Of course, we ask each other how our days were and I ask how work was but "what I do all day" has never really come up. Then it got me thinking-- what do I do all day? Obviously, I don't spend every morning in bed watching tv, it'll happen from time to time if I wake up earlier than I planned or if I happen to be dying to watch the next episode of whatever I might be watching on Netfilx, but it's certainly what I do everyday..

 Since I stay home managing the household is almost 100% my responsibility.  Michael mentioned on days when he comes home from work and dinners not cooked or ready to be cooked, and our house is messy it reminds him of the terrible first 3 months of our marriage when I was sick and household management was completely his responsibility, and I definitely don't want Michael to feel anxious after a long day at work so I do the best I can to keep the house in order. Being the person that I am, you know, list loving and all, I have a personal home management binder- it contains weekly menu planners, shopping list, contact info, bill info, home & auto maintenance records... etc. I use check list, weekly routines, and calenders to keep everything straight. I feel so blessed that I am able to stay home during the day and do whatever I want. I loved nannying, and it brought me so so much joy but there is something to be said about just being a wife. I love taking care of our household and Mike. I love having dinner ready when he walks through the door. I love when he gets to come home to a clean house. I never knew how much joy cleaning, cooking, and paying bills could bring me until I got to do it for someone I love so deeply.

Daily Routine:
-Make sure Michael has breakfast (since he wakes up at 4, I often just prepare stuff he can make fast and easily, although sometimes I get up and make him breakfast in bed, like today)
- Make sure Michael is out of bed on time (I often fail at this one, I'm glad he doesn't need me to wake him up)
- Pack his lunch if I didn't do so the night before
- Go back to bed
- Wake up
- Quiet time
- Work on chores, orders and any prep for dinner
- Lunch
- Call mom, call friends, shop, school, craft, play around on the computer... Basically, if I were a kid, I would consider this my free time.
- Watch Ellen. I love Ellen. No judging allowed!
- Prepare dinner and pick up messes I have made during the day
- and my best part of the day --- Greet Michael at the door (most days) with a happy smile and a big hug and kiss

Here the breakdown of what a normal weeks looks likes:

Monday- Laundry, Bills, & Grocery Shopping
Tuesday- Bathrooms (although, I usually only do three, since the fourth is a guest bathroom and hardly ever used. Shhhhh- it's my secret)
Wednesday- Living Room, Hallways, and Entry
Thursday- Kitchen & Plan meals for next week
Friday- Bedrooms & Studios

So there you have it. That's what I do all day. Well, most days. I couldn't be loving my life more <3


- A very happy Mrs. Hunt

1 comment:

  1. Oh what a sweet life!, I'm so glad that you are happy and enjoy being a home maker and loving your husband!
    A very cute story!
    Love, Auntie

    ReplyDelete