Pages

Saturday, January 7, 2012

Chicken and Broccoli Alfredo Casserole, lightened up

Southern Living



So this will be the first of the recipes that I have tried from Pinterest and blogged about. Michael picked out Southern Living's "Three Cheese Pasta Bake".


 This is part Mac N Cheese, part Lasagna, part Fettuccine Alfredo.
Since Michael and I are trying to lighten things up I decided to switch a few things with this recipe.The original recipe called for regular Alfredo, sour cream, and ricotta cheese. I used light Alfredo, plain non fat Greek yogurt (in place of the sour cream), and non fat ricotta. To make it a bit heartier, I added chicken breast and broccoli. By making these changes I was able to cut lots of calories out of the dish while still adding chicken and broccoli.

This recipe was so yummy. I'm glad I made the changes I did. This dish definitely didn't taste lightened up. It had the taste of a classic fettuccine alfredo dish, with the textured of lasagna. The only thing I'll change the next time I make it (and I will be making it again) is seasoning the chicken.

Chicken and Broccoli Alfredo Casserole
Adapted from Southern Living
10 Servings
427 Calories/Serving
10g Fat/Serving
$2.36/Serving
  • 1 lb package Penne 
  • 2 (10-ounce) containers refrigerated light Alfredo sauce  
  • 1 cup Plain Non Fat Greek Yogurt
  • 1 bag of Steamfresh Broccoli; thawed but not cooked
  • 2 Chicken Breast; cooked & chopped
  •  15 ounce non fat ricotta cheese
  •  1 single size egg beater (or two eggs)
  • 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese 
  • 1 1/2 cups reduced fat mozzarella cheese 

Preparation

  1. Preheat oven to 350°
  2. Prepare penne according to package directions; drain and return to pot. Do not over cook.
  3. Stir together Alfredo sauce, yogurt, chicken, and broccoli; toss with penne until evenly coated. Spoon half of mixture into a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish.
  4. Stir together ricotta cheese, egg beaters, and Parmesan cheese; spread evenly over pasta mixture in baking dish. Spoon remaining pasta mixture evenly over ricotta cheese layer; sprinkle evenly with mozzarella cheese.
  5. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until bubbly.
There you have it... The first week of Pinterest.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment